Allergy Testing and Dermatology Treatments for Cats, Dogs, and Pocket Pets
While identifying the symptoms may be easy, determining the cause of your pet’s dermatological issues and allergies often takes time, medical observation, and testing. To best serve our pet patients and clients, we work methodically to identify the source as quickly as possible and to limit excessive and costly treatments.
Dermatological conditions in pets can typically be attributed to one of the following types of allergens:
- Environmental – Dust, dander, mold, and pollen are all allergens that can be found in the environment and affect humans and pets alike. Using diagnostic procedures, such as serum allergy testing, we can identify the exact allergen(s) and develop a treatment plan that works best for your pet.
- Nutritional – Food allergies in pets are often mistaken as intolerance. Contrary to popular belief, pets aren’t allergic to brands of food; they become allergic to the ingredients found in them. We can recommend an appropriate veterinary food trial to aid in the diagnosis of food allergy.
- Fleas – Flea allergy dermatitis is common and is caused by an allergic reaction to flea saliva. Addressing this allergy begins by using a year-round flea medication for your dog or cat.
Other tests that may be performed to help alleviate your pet’s skin problem may include:
- Serum allergy testing
- Skin cytology
- Skin scrapings
- Skin bacterial culture
- Skin fungal culture
Once a diagnosis has been made, our doctors will develop a plan to alleviate your pet’s symptoms. Common dermatological conditions we treat include:
- Food allergies
- Flea allergy dermatitis
- Environmental allergies (atopy)
- Parasitic and fungal skin disease
- Skin diseases and cancer
- Nutritional skin diseases
- Drug reactions
We also offer the convenience of Pick Up and Drop Off services for patients as well as products sold at our office.
Call, text, or request an appointment online today to schedule an allergy or dermatology appointment with one of our veterinarians!